History

LIBRARY HISTORY

The Kate Love Simpson Morgan County Library was organized January 26, 1920 as a library association. The original constitution and bylaws requested a contribution of $5 annually, with the library open to residents of McConnelsville and Malta. A physicians certificate of good health was requested on joining the association. In 1923, Mr. Simpson bequeathed the 1859 Simpson House to the library trustees as a place to locate the library collection.

The Simpson House at 358 East Main Street was renovated to serve as a library. Area residents donated books and the county budget commission began allocating funds for library operation. In 1934, the library opened its doors to all residents of Morgan County.

The library has continued to grow and in 1994 the Board of Trustees applied for and received a grant to help finance a new building. The new building opened at the end of February 1997 with approximately 12,000 square feet, a bookmobile garage, and a community meeting room. An open house and dedication was held on March 2, 1997.

The mission of the Kate Love Simpson Morgan County Library is to support life-long learning for all ages with a wide variety of materials to fulfill the educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs of Morgan County residents.

  


Source URL: https://www.morgan.lib.oh.us/hist